Saturday, September 10, 2005

Motivation Comes FIRST

Email from Anonymous:

I am a young obses woman at risk for many health risks if I don't already have them. I have tried dieting before even going as far as hiring a personal trainer, but it all seemed so expensive. I am having trouble getting over that mental hump that comes with trying to lose weight. I have read many statistics and I am quite intelligent but for some reason would rather sit on couch instaed of exercising. Do you have any starter exercises that one could do before doing an all out routine?

Lisa's Response:

I'm no psychologist but it sounds like to me your issue is more mental than physical. You said yourself you're having trouble getting over the mental hump that comes with trying to lose weight. You have to work on that first.

I could give you every exercise in the book but they won't give you the motivation. Until you mentally decide this is something you want to stick to then it will be difficult. I have the same issue sometimes. I'm not overweight but I know I should workout for health reasons. Many days I just can't make myself do it. It's not that I can't do it physically but I have to mentally remind myself that I care about my physical well being enough to make my butt get up and exercise. :)

As far as starter exercises. Make it simple. Go buy a simple jump rope and jump for 10 minutes per day. Or walk around your neighborhood. A simple walk is one of the best exercises you can perform and it's something you can always do. A lot of my friends go to the mall and power walk. That's another good place to go because you can people watch. If you don't want to do that get a treadmill and walk in your home.

You don't have to have an all out routine to lose weight, you just need some consistent heart-moving exercises that you perform 3-4 times a week. AND you have to convince yourself mentally that you want to do this. Don't do it for anyone but yourself.Most people don't realize it, but losing weight is much more a mental process than physical. Sure you have to physically move to do the exercises BUT your mind has to decide FIRST that you want to do this.

Good luck to you, girl! You can do it!!

No comments: