Saturday, September 10, 2005

Stomach Hanging After Surgery


Email from Anonymous:

Hello, I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago, and now I have this flab that hangs. Could you please help me to get rid of this. I hate my body since the operation. I didn't have the flab before the operation. I am desparate.

Lisa's Response:

Keep in mind that I'm not a doctor, but some people's only resort after a hysterectomy is surgery because it sounds like you may have more excess, sagging skin than actual fat.

BUT if abdominal fat is the problem, you can still firm that area up by doing some double leg lifts. That's where you lay on your back, head off the ground, arms behind your head. Raise and lower your legs (keeping them as straight as possible). Try to get your legs as close to the floor as possible and lift them up. You'll feel your lower abdominals working.

Have you asked your doctor about it?

Your body's make-up will depend on what will work best for you. If it's fat you're dealing with then you'll need to load up on proteins: almonds, egg whites, fish, beans and those kinds of foods but it sounds like to me your body was morphed by the surgery. Exercising will help but it won't eliminate all excess skin. Age also plays an important factor since skin tends to sag the older we get.

You really need to talk to your physician about what will work best.

Good luck to you!

No comments: